Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 53; What Is It You Really Want To Do?

I received an email from a good friend of mine today.  Her son is attending a university and is involved in ROTC. 

I told her of my son's upcoming deployment to Iraq and asked her if she was feeling any apprehension about her son's decision to serve in the Army.  Here is her response:

Are you kidding???  We've talked about this, cried together, talked more about this, and cried more... My son constantly reminds me..."this is my life Mom--not yours!"
 
"But what is it you really want to do?" I asked him.  He responds..."blow up shit!" 
 
Isn't that lovely!?  My sweet little boy.
 
He is all about being the best he can be in life... He spent last summer qualifying in the Army's Special Forces Underwater Dive Team.  Currently, he's an EMT (certainly not for the money, but for the excitement) and says that saving lives is what makes him feel like he is really doing something. 
 
Bob has told him... you CANNOT be a medic in the military cuz they are unarmed!!!  That's why he is pursuing the dive training...and hopefully that will keep him out of Iraq and Afganistan???  This is scary shit!
 
I don't have the heart to tell my friend that I have heard diving operations are just as dangerous, if not more dangerous, than going to Iraq or Afghanistan... 
 
God bless her son.  My heart fills with pride to know that our sons have made such an important decision to serve our country.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment