Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day 86; A Starbucks Like No Other

Tuesday, February 8th


I received the photo of Starbucks in Kuwait from my soldier today.  Here is his email:

The fabled starbucks in Kuwait.  Notice the Hesco barriers protecting it from mortar shrapnel.  Ironically, this is the only building I've seen on base that is individually protected by Hesco barriers. 



FYI:  I'll be in Taji about 24 hours from now.  I'll be leaving on an Air Force C-130 plane to get to Taji, in full gear, weapon, ammo and all.  Should be like a 2 hour flight.  I'll try to find some internet asap once I get there.

More to come!  Love you.



I read this email from my cell phone.  The photo of Starbucks was small, but I could see the doorway and the Hesco barriers.  Upon closer inspection, it appeared that there was a soldier patrolling in front of Starbucks with his weapon. 

So I replied to my son's email and said:

Thanks for the Starbucks photo.  Is that soldier, with the gun, patrolling?  What the heck?


His reply:

haha. 
Zoom in on the guy and tell me if you think he is patrolling. 
Hint:  I wasn't the one holding the camera.


So I zoom in on the photo...  and...  HUH?  

That's my son, holding a weapon in one hand and sipping a Starbucks coffee in the other!  Oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment