Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day 90; Home Away From Home

Saturday, February 12th


I received an email from my soldier with a Google Map page.  This will be his home for the duration of his deployment:




Attached is a map of where I am -- Camp Taji, Iraq.  I labeled the places I go to on any given day (DFAC is the dining facility, btw).  Everything is within a 10 minute walk of each other.  

Everything to the right side of the air field is manned by the Iraqi Army, and we are on the left side of the air field.

Here's the link on google maps:


 
The bone yard I was talking about in my previous email is at the following link...if you zoom out you can see how many abandoned vehicles there are.  And most of the buildings away from where I am are abandoned.  Keep in mind that this used to be a base occupied by Saddam's army.  Weird to think I'm working in the same buildings they did.


2 comments:

  1. This is a big-time security risk, please remove this.
    Respectfully,
    A concerned soldier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.. I was thinking the same thing. Isn't that why we said "loose lips sink ships" in WWII. My son is stationed somewhere in Iraq and to publish a map with details of where he is so ISIS can lob a mortar is foolish on anyones part.

      Delete