Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day 7; A Hike To Remember

No word from my soldier today.  No doubt, he is busy doing his job. 

Last night, my insomnia kept me awake all night.  I finally turned off my computer at 5am and fell asleep.  It seems I am still on L.A. time.

Robert called us at noon and wanted to take us on a tour of Park Güell in Barcelona this afternoon.  Park Güell is another of Gaudi's creations (remember Segrada Familia?) and lies north of Barcelona centre. 
We had another challenging time on the metroMetro and met up with Robert after only 37 minutes of foot and metro travel.  Not bad, and less than one Euro to travel on the Metro system.

Park Güell is full of narrow twisting pathways which meander through the park and it is quite a hike up several steps.



This park was like nothing I had ever encountered and as we continued to climb, the various foot paths were surrounded by colorful buildings, sculptures, and mosaic tiling.



Robert is a wonderful tour guide, and in addition to his knowledge of Barcelona, he is the perfect translator.  He orders all of meals for us in Catalan!



The views of Barcelona from the top of the park were spectacular. 



I actually got to be in a photo... (barely!)



There is a large stone cross on the highest point of Park Guell. We are told that most people come here to visit the gardens laid out by Gaudi, and far fewer make it to the top of the park. The hike from the gardens up to the stone cross is quite steep, but I thought the view was well-worth the effort.



Upon returning to the hotel, I received a text message from my soldier!

          "Doing entry check point ops.  Basically, vehicle searches, personnel searches, biometric data entry
          (iris and fingerprint scan).  This body armor is friggin heavy."

I sent him a warm "1-4-3" (that's "I love you" in text code for those of you who don't know) and closed my eyes, imagining a "virtual hug."  Sounds corny, but it helps.

We finished off the day by ordering room service and watching the Green Bay Packers and the St. Louis Rams football games on our laptop via TiVo/Slingbox.  You gotta love the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment