Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 8; Skyway to Tomorrowland

Today we toured Montjuïc (Mountain of the Jews).  The oldest sight on the Montjuïc is the Castell de Montjuïc, a large 18th century fortress. It was built by the Bourbons on the remains of a fort dating back to 1640. 



I read that the castle was originally built for the defense of Barcelona, but now houses the Museu Militar (military museum).  Check out this cannon photo below.  My husband volunteered to be my model in order to give us some perspective to the cannon's size.



In order to get there (unless you are crazy enough to climb the mountain just to save a few bucks ) is by taking a ride on the "Telefèric de Montjuïc."  This is a ski resort-style 4-person gondola lift cable car, which transports visitors up the mountain to the old military fort on Montjuïc.


Riding on the Telefèric reminded me of the 'Skyway to Tomorrowland' at Disneyland (or as we used to call the ride as kids, the "bucket rides"). 

Later on, we met up with Robert and few of his friends for a late dinner at the Attic restaurant on Las Ramblas.  Lots of food and fun.



Finally, I received a text message from my soldier in the middle of the night (of course, I was still awake at 2am, so no big deal...).  

          "I am probably going to have to send one of my soldiers home.  Medically disqualified."

Oh no.  That can't be good news. 





No comments:

Post a Comment