Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day 11; Montserrat -- Thanksgiving

November 25:

What a strange endeavor to be in a foreign country on the Thanksgiving holiday. 

My husband and I started our day by taking a journey by train to Montserrat, which is an incredible mountain top monastery about 4000 ft above the valley floor.  Awesome. 



Well worth the long day of travel.  My son Robert had told me that when he and his friends had visited Montserrat, they had hiked to the top instead of taking the funicular.  Ah, youth.  The two hours they spent hiking were better spent by riding the aerial cable and enjoying the view for me.  I think it had been an economical decision for them, too.  It gets pricey with all of the train fares, aerial cable rides, funicular, etc. 

After we returned to Barcelona, we met up with Robert for our Thanksgiving celebration.  The three of us made a desperate attempt to find a turkey dinner, and we lucked out… Thank you Hard Rock Café – Barcelona.  They even served us pumpkin pie (albeit, not even close to my mom’s recipe). 

A few hours later, back in the U.S., my soldier sent a picture message from Ft. Hood during his Thanksgiving lunch break.


It looks like the troops are being fed in style.  That plate is piled pretty high, and that is only his Thanksgiving Day lunch!  Although my soldier is in excellent health, lean and athletic, nothing stops him from packing it in when it comes to holiday meals.

Later on, he sent me a picture of their Thanksgiving dinner celebration. 



No comments:

Post a Comment