Thursday, December 30, 2010

Day 25; Call from Barcelona

Today, my son Robert informed us that his backpack was stolen while sitting at an outdoor cafe in Barcelona.  Apparently, someone walked by, switched an empty black backpack with Robert's (it was sitting by his chair on the ground), and Robert did not discover this until minutes later when he went to retrieve his laptop -- which of course was not in the foreign backpack.  Along with the laptop was his $350 Bose headphones and his iPod.  Ugh. 

We have to look at the bright side here:  Robert was not harmed.  These 'crooks' are experts at their craft.  It only takes a second-- and whoosh!  The guy does the old switcheroo and you don't even know it.

Finals are next week.  My husband and I made a quick trip to the local UPS Store and sent Robert a laptop, my iPod, and my Bose headphones to get him through the end of his studies.  (I stashed a few Euros I had left over in my wallet -- I won't hold my breath that they will still be in the box when Robert receives it.) 

The cost of shipping:  A whopping $176.  Add that to the losses already incurred.

No comments:

Post a Comment